Cambridge International AS & A Level curriculum
* Private Candidates Entries for Cambridge AS & A Levels Exams are accepted at PCS.
The syllabuses prepare learners for university study, which is why universities worldwide value and recognise Cambridge International AS & A Level qualifications.
Cambridge International AS & A Level develops learners’ knowledge, understanding and skills in:
- In-depth subject content
- Independent thinking
- Applying knowledge and understanding to new as well as familiar situations
- Handling and evaluating different types of information source
- Thinking logically and presenting ordered and coherent arguments
- Making judgements, recommendations and decisions
- Presenting reasoned explanations, understanding implications and communicating them logically and clearly
- Working and communicating in English.
We offer a choice of 55 subjects and schools can offer them in almost any combination. This flexibility means schools can build an individualised curriculum, and learners can choose to specialise in a particular subject area or study a range of subjects.
Cambridge International A Level is typically a two-year course, and Cambridge International AS Level is typically one year. Some subjects can be started as a Cambridge International AS Level and extended to a Cambridge International A Level.
Cambridge International A Level is typically a two-year course, and Cambridge International AS Level is typically one year.
Your learners can choose from a range of assessment options to gain Cambridge International AS & A Level qualifications:
- Take the Cambridge International AS Level only. The syllabus content is half a Cambridge International A Level.
- Take a ‘staged’ assessment route – take the Cambridge International AS Level in one examination series and complete the final Cambridge International A Level at a subsequent series. AS Level marks can be carried forward to a full A Level twice within a 13 month period.*
- Take all papers of the Cambridge International A Level course in the same examination session, usually at the end of the course.
We hold Cambridge International AS & A Level examination series twice a year, in June and November. Results are issued in August and January.
* The staged assessment route is not possible in all subjects. The outcomes awarded for Cambridge International AS Level language syllabuses cannot be carried forward to Cambridge International A Level.
Each subject that a learner takes receives a separate grade.
Grades are benchmarked using internationally recognised grades, which have clear guidelines to explain the standards of achievement.
The Cambridge International A Level is reported on a grade scale from A* (highest) to E (minimum required performance). There is no A* grade for Cambridge International AS Levels, which run from grade A to E.
We also provide worldwide results statistics for Cambridge International AS & A Level qualifications.
Many schools use Cambridge International AS Level to give learners valuable feedback on their performance, identifying strengths and weaknesses before they complete their full Cambridge International A Level.